The archive of Lancaster Royal Grammar School includes a wide range of material documenting all aspects of school life. As well as paper records and photographs recording the school and its pupils, the archive holds school memorabilia and artefacts, and papers of the Old Lancastrian Club.
The school was awarded funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund which enabled the cataloguing of its unique archive as part of an exciting project, ‘The Changing Face of Lancaster’. The project invited local children and adults to discover how three influential Victorian philanthropists, key alumni of the school, invested in the infrastructure of the town and provided buildings and schemes for the local community.
Our Volunteer Archivists continue to welcome enquiries about the school and former pupils.
The archive includes:
- Governors’ minutes
- Admission records
- Blue books (yearly lists of staff and pupils)
- Lancastrian Magazine (1886-present)
- Student magazines
- Administrative and financial records
- Records of sports, clubs and societies
- Photographs (whole school, houses and teams)
- Estate papers and building plans
- Works of art and antiquarian maps
- Artefacts and memorabilia including school uniforms, badges, trophies
- Collections of personal papers given by Old Lancastrians
- Old Lancastrian Newsletter (1941-present) and papers of the Old Lancastrian Club
- Secondary sources: the Biographical Register (directory of former pupils 13th century-1850 and 1895-1946), books and printed articles on the history of the school and its former members.
- Read the LRGS Prospectus from the 1940s and the 1850s
For more information on our Archive please contact the Development Office.
Copyright and conditions of use
To the best of our knowledge, all materials reproduced on this web site are the copyright of Lancaster Royal Grammar School, in the public domain, or reproduced with permission from other copyright owners. All rights are reserved. The materials on this web site may be retrieved and downloaded solely for personal use. They may not otherwise be copied, modified, published, broadcast or otherwise distributed without the prior written permission of Lancaster Royal Grammar School. We have made the best effort to adhere to all known copyright, but due to the age of some of the records and photographs it has not always been possible to establish the identity of rights owners. Requests for removal of digital records from this website should be sent to our archivist with details of the item and an explanation of why it should be removed, including any claim to rights.