Tel: 01524 580542 to chat to us
LRGS boarding Ofsted
We are delighted to announce that in February 2017 following a rigorous, zero-notice inspection by Ofsted, boarding at LRGS has again been rated as ‘Outstanding' in all areas. See full story.
What is a state boarding school?
Lancaster Royal Grammar School is one of 38 state boarding schools in the UK, offering free education and affordable boarding. LRGS is one of the most successful state boarding grammar schools, with an excellent academic reputation, offering boys a wealth of cultural and sporting activities and the option of weekly and full boarding.
With free education to all pupils, boarding fees less than a third of those payable at private schools, and an Ofsted boarding rating of 'outstanding' across all categories, we offer an exceptional alternative to the independent sector.
Aims of boarding at LRGS
We endeavour to create a caring and supportive environment for the development of all pupils. We aim to create a community in which achievement is recognised and celebrated. In close liaison with parents we seek to encourage independence, maturity and responsibility in every boy in our care.
Our specific aims are to:
1. To create a community that ensures the safety and welfare of its pupils in an environment where they can be both healthy and happy.
2. To provide an environment in which pupils can develop their intellectual academic, sporting and creative potential through well structured routines, access to staff and other pupils in an atmosphere which values effort.
3. To provide a range of activities related to age and maturity that will assist in the personal, social, moral, spiritual and cultural development of each pupil.
4. To provide accommodation that is comfortable and suitable to the needs of boarders according to their age and which provides appropriate levels of privacy.
5. To provide an atmosphere that allows pupils to develop a tolerance of others and to live free of teasing, harassment and bullying.
6. To develop each boarder’s responsibility for self, for others and for their environment.
7. To develop pupils’ qualities of leadership and their ability to work as a team.
8. To develop close links with parents in the support of pupils development within school.
9. To provide ample opportunity for pupils to talk to staff about their day to day concerns.
Flexible boarding to suit you
"An outstanding service in every respect" (Ofsted)
Boarding can be full time, weekly, or arranged to suit the requirements of the modern family. Approximately one third of the boarding community at LRGS are full time boarders, some from overseas. The rest of the community is made up of boys who stay some weekends but also go home regularly. The choice is left to parents in liaison with Housemasters.
Warm, family environment
"Excellent relationships have been established between staff, pupils and parents" (Ofsted)
Those who visit LRGS are struck by the warm, family atmosphere that characterises boarding at the school. Our dedicated teams of housemasters, tutors and matrons care for each boy as an individual, ensuring that wherever his talents and interests lie, he can succeed and be happy during his time at LRGS. Many boarding parents have commented on how successful the boys' boarding school setting is for their sons, saying the 'happy yet disciplined environment' enables the boys to thrive, academically and socially.
Boaders and staff enjoy a range of ocial activities, from trips to theme parks to Premier League football games and go-karting round race tracks.
Set in a stunning landscape
With the Lake District, Morecambe Bay and the Yorkshire Dales all just a day-trip away, Lancaster is a safe, peaceful environment, surrounded by some of the most stunning landscapes in the country. We have excellent transport links. We are very close to the M6, Lancaster is on a direct train line into Manchester Airport and London to Lancaster by train is less than 2½ hours
These are just some of the reasons why parents choose LRGS when they are looking into boarding schools for their sons, but don’t just take my word for it – have a look through our website and see what we can offer you and your son. Above all, I hope you will come and visit the school and see for yourself what makes it special. Ring me on 01524 580542 - I look forward to meeting you!
Dr C J Pyle, Headmaster