"Outstanding for boarding"
In June 2023 following a rigorous, zero-notice inspection by Ofsted, boarding at LRGS has again been rated as ‘Outstanding' in all areas.
What is a state boarding school?
Lancaster Royal Grammar School is one of 38 state boarding schools in the UK, offering free education and affordable boarding. LRGS is one of the most successful state boarding grammar schools, with an excellent academic reputation, offering pupils a wealth of cultural and sporting activities and the option of weekly and full boarding.
With free education to all pupils, boarding fees less than a third of those payable at private schools, and an Ofsted boarding rating of 'outstanding' across all categories, we offer an exceptional alternative to the independent sector.
Welcoming Sixth Form girls into Boarding from 2019
Boarding Principles and Practice
We endeavour to create a caring and supportive environment for the development of all pupils. We aim to create a community in which achievement is recognised and celebrated. In close liaison with parents we seek to encourage independence, maturity and responsibility in every child in our care.
Our specific aims are to:
- To create a community that ensures the safety and welfare of its pupils in an environment where they can be both healthy and happy.
- To provide an environment in which pupils can develop their intellectual academic, sporting and creative potential through well structured routines, access to staff and other pupils in an atmosphere which values effort.
- To provide a range of activities related to age and maturity that will assist in the personal, social, moral, spiritual and cultural development of each pupil.
- To provide accommodation that is comfortable and suitable to the needs of boarders according to their age and which provides appropriate levels of privacy.
- To provide an atmosphere that allows pupils to develop a tolerance of others and to live free of teasing, harassment and bullying.
- To develop each boarder’s responsibility for self, for others and for their environment.
- To develop pupils’ qualities of leadership and their ability to work as a team.
- To develop close links with parents and carers in the support of pupils development within school.
- To provide ample opportunity for pupils to talk to staff about their day to day concerns.
Flexible boarding to suit you
"An outstanding service in every respect"
Boarding can be full time, weekly, or arranged to suit the requirements of the modern family. Approximately one third of the boarding community at LRGS are full time boarders, some from overseas. The rest of the community is made up of pupils who stay some weekends but also go home regularly. The choice is left to parents and carers in liaison with Housemasters.
Warm, family environment
"Excellent relationships have been established between staff, pupils and parents"
Those who visit LRGS are struck by the warm, family atmosphere that characterises boarding at the school. Our dedicated teams of housemasters, tutors and matrons care for each child as an individual, ensuring that wherever their talents and interests lie, they can succeed and be happy during their time at LRGS. Many boarding parents/carers have commented on how successful the boarding school setting is for their child, saying the 'happy yet disciplined environment' enables them to thrive, academically and socially.
Boarders and staff enjoy a range of social activities, from trips to theme parks, shopping at the Trafford Centre to Premier League football games and go-karting.
Set in a stunning landscape
With the Lake District, Morecambe Bay and the Yorkshire Dales all just a day-trip away, Lancaster is a safe, peaceful environment, surrounded by some of the most stunning landscapes in the country. We have excellent transport links. We are very close to the M6, Lancaster is on a direct train line into Manchester Airport and London to Lancaster by train is less than 2½ hours
Lancaster - A city region crossed by canals and the River Lune, perfectly situated between two Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty – within minutes of Morecambe Bay’s spectacular coastline, the open countryside of North Yorkshire and the mountains of the Lake District. Lancaster is a place of quality, scale and magnitude. Characterised by fine Georgian architecture: the Queen’s Priory, Lancaster Castle, and the Ashton Memorial sitting proudly in the centre of Williamson Park. Elevated by the academic excellence of not one but two universities, Lancaster and Cumbria. Our new story reflects where we have come from, but more importantly where and how Lancaster can grow and develop in the future. Watch Our Lancaster Story: City, hub & heartland to find out more about our city: