What do schools run on?
“Do you know what schools run on?” the Head asked me, with a slightly forbidding air, as I accepted my very first responsibilities in school management. “Goodwill. And don’t you forget it!”
There’s a bit more to it than that. A longer list might start with:
- Teaching and pastoral care
- Money (makes the world go round)
- Like an army, their stomach
- Ethos, culture, policies and rules
- Parental support
- Learning, responsibility, recognition, joy
- Fresh air and exercise
- iSAMs, Wisepay, ShowMyHomework, Office 365
- Optimism – and sunshine when available!
But he was right. Built over years, it can be squandered in a moment.
Goodwill gives time to individuals; makes things right in boarding; gives up weekends; treks the hills with CCF and DofE; organises Glenridding, the Normandy experience, the German exchange, productions, concerts, cricket festivals, rugby tours … and much more besides.
Goodwill. And don’t you forget it!