Plant Sale and Coffee Morning
All parents and friends are invited to take part in the Friends of LRGS Plant Sale and Coffee Morning. A colourful selection of plants are now on offer at amazing prices. Once you've made your order, you can pick the plants up on Friday 15 May from the Lower Courts or alternatively, at the Coffee Morning on Saturday 16 May in the Grab and Go. Building on the success of last year's event, the Coffee Morning promises to be a great event for all the family, with games and face painting, table top stalls and a bring and buy plant sale.
Place your orders by 17 April! For more details see the PDFs on the left - these have also been posted on the Letters to Parents page.
Calendar of Events
The Friends' Calendar of Events for 2014-15 has been updated - see PDF on left.
Introduction to Friends of LRGS
The Friends of LRGS are a group of parents who support the school in many ways: the School Shop, fundraising, social activities, and help at school events. The Friends Committee meets regularly in an informal atmosphere to plan activities. Everybody is welcome to join or to help on an ad hoc basis.
The Friends of LRGS was set up in 1973 and since then we have raised over £325,000 to provide and assist in the provision of facilities for education in the School.
We aim to provide a link between school and home and seek to give opportunities for parents to support the life and work of the school whilst making contact with other parents.
All monies raised go to the School. Recently we supported the following areas of school life with:
- Microphones for the Assembly Hall.
- A sound system for the Music Department.
- Electronic Bulletin Boards across the School.
- An Airbike trainer for the School Gym.
- A vinyl cutter for the Design and Technology Department.
- Two way radios for Ski trips etc.
- Finnish School Choir exchange; assistance towards transport costs.
- A signed and framed Jason Queally shirt, for display in the new Food Technology building.
- A recording session for School musicians.
- Living Willow project; contributory funds.
- UK Maths Trust Team Challenge finals - team transport.
- Helped with the refurbishment of the Library by purchasing new shelving and study spaces
- Half-financed 3 defibrillators; a grant was kindly given by The Galbraith Trust to help buy them
- A trampoline for PE.
- A 3D printer for Design and Technology (partly funded).
- Portable lighting for Drama (partly funded).
- Prizes for school competitions
- Funds to help boys travel to competitions and events
Please support the Friends
Membership of the Friends of LRGS is automatic for all parents or guardians of boys attending the School. The Committee has representatives of all year groups in the School and includes parents of boarders as well as day Pupils. The circulation of notices is carried out via the boys and via the school website.
We would be delighted if you could help us in any of the following ways:
- come to our events
- make sure your son passes on to you any information from us and/or check the website regularly
- book tickets early to help planning and catering
- use the School Shop
- join a team of occasional helpers who assist with publicity and setting up an event
- give us your fundraising ideas
- please let us know if, through your work or through other forms of expertise and/or contacts, you could help with the activities of the Friends
How to Contact Us
School Office 01524 580600
School website www.lrgs.org.uk
The Friends’ Shop is located in Bay View Cottages on the top site, selling second hand uniform, coats and games kit, LRGS gifts and merchandise, books, calculators and stationery. It is open during term time on Fridays 3.30pm – 4.30pm and Saturdays 10 – 11am. The shop is not normally open on Bank Holiday weekends or in the holidays.
The shop is entirely run and managed by volunteer parents from the Friends’ Committee, with all profits going back the school for benefit of the boys at LRGS. The Friends welcome any donations of second-hand uniform and sports kit.
New uniform is for sale in Mike's Sportsworld in Lancaster and Garstang.
If you shop online you can now benefit the Friends of LRGS at no extra cost to you, by registering at easyfundraising.org.uk.
You will need to select “Friends of Lancaster Royal Grammar School” as the cause you wish to support.
For every purchase you make at a selection of over 2,000 retailers (including Amazon, ASOS, Next, and Play.com) via easyfundraising.org.uk you'll raise a donation for the Friends of Lancaster Royal Grammar School. Please spread the word!
Friends' Book Collection
The Friends of LRGS would like to invite all parents to donate their surplus books to the school shop and later on, to hold a book fair from the donations. Donations should be taken to Lee House. More details in the attached flyer - see left.
Friends' 500 Club
The 500 Club is a convenient and very inexpensive way in which parents can support the Friends of LRGS. All members receive a unique number which is entered into the 500 Club draw.
The regular income the 500 Club generates has helped the Friends to support the School with some very significant purchases. In the last three years alone, the Friends have bought myriad items including digital bulletin boards, musical instruments, sports equipment, ropes, tents, a kiln; even a weather station and an orrery!
For just £15 a year, per membership number, you can compete for cash prizes whilst supporting the school and your sons. You could be a 500 Club winner!
For further details and application form please above, left.
The winners for January 2015 were:
£50 Suzanne Wilson
£25 Mr M J Jones
£25 A and G Robb
Friends' Greetings Cards
Christine Coleman has designed a unique series of LRGS greetings cards, which are for sale at the Buy and Sell Shop in Bay View Cottages. With their humorous watercolour images, they are useful for all occasions. Click on the picture on the right for prices.