This morning Lower Sixth students took part in a Lords Live Skype session with the Deputy Speaker of the House of Lords Lord McFall.
The boys asked several questions including:
- Should there still be Hereditary peers?
- How do you become a member of the House of Lords?
- How does your role differ from the Deputy Speaker of the House of Commons?
- Should all members of the House of Lords be neutral and non-affiliated?
- As an ex Labour MP and the Speaker of the House of Lords being an ex-Conservative MP are there any conflicts and disagreements with how to meet objectives?
- There has been a huge backlash about the House of Lords and Brexit. Do you favour a hard or soft Brexit?
It was a great opportunity for the boys to understand more about the inner workings of Parliament and the House of Lords.
We'd like to thank Lord McFall and the UK Parliament Education Service for hosting the event and our Parliament Gold Ambassador Mr Shorrock for organising this.